Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The latest stupid Facebook Breast Cancer Awareness letter

I was upset about the last email that I got a few months back - I can't remember the gimmick not having read through it. The day I got it I learned that my SIL who has fought through two bouts of breat cancer now had metatasized cancer in her liver and kidneys (she's still fighting the good fight but her prognosis is not good at all). The frivolioty of it all just made me angry and I wanted to send an angry message back. I didn't because the friend who sent it is the sister of the spouse of a family member (who oddly works hard to raise money for cancer research) and I didn't want to create family discord. I resolved to talk to her quietly about my impressions next time I ran into her.

Today another friend sent me this:

It's that time of year again in support of Breast Cancer Awareness! We all remember last years game of writing your bra color as your status? or the way we like to have our handbag handy?
Remember last year so many people took part that it made national news and the constant updating of status reminded everyone why we're doing this and helped raise awareness!
DO NOT tell any males what the status' mean, keep them guessing And please Broadcast this to all ur female friends to see if we can make a bigger fuss this year than last year ;);)
I did my part... So now its YOUR turn!
The idea is to choose the month You were born and the day you were born. Pass this on to the girls only and lets see how far it reaches around. The last one about the bra went round the world.
So you'll write... I'm (your birth month) weeks and I'm craving (your birth date) !!! as your status :p:p
Example: Feb 14th= I'm 2 weeks and craving Choclolate mints!! ;);)
January-1weekFebuary-2weeksMarch-3weeksApril-4weeksMay-6weeksJune-8weeksJuly-10weeksAugust-12weeksSeptember-13weeksOctober-14weeksNovember-16weeksDecember-18weeks
Days of the month:
1- Skittles2- Starburst3- Kit-Kat4- M&M's5- Tomatoes6- Ice Cream7- Dairy Milk8- Lollipop9- Peanut Butter Cups10- Meat Balls11- Twizzlers12- Bubble Gum13- Hershey's Kisses14- Chocolate Mints15- Twix16- Cheese17- Fudge18- Cherry Jello19- Banana's20- Pickels21- Chicken Wings22- Skittles23- Gummy Bears24- Gummy Worms25- Strawberry Pop Tarts26- Starburst27- Mini Eggs28- Kit-Kat Chunkie29- Double Chocolate Chip Chrunchy Cookies 30- Smarties31- Chocolate Cake
Have Fun! :D:D


So now we are not only bring frivolity to cancer but also to infertility. I know this has been debated ad nauseum but I needed to vent somewhere. I don't think these stupid games raise awareness of anything but stupid games while at the same time being hurtful and insensitive. If you do get this silly letter please don't forward it on - some people just aren't going to get the joke.

2 comments:

Dee said...

Could NOT agree with you more! It's making me insane! I was wondering what it was that was turning me off of the whole thing so badly. You nailed it!

Sherry @ TLOL said...

Agreed.