Thursday, December 08, 2005

Sometimes You Just Have to Listen

Sam is obsessed with two things in life: Balls and Cars. As such they were two of his first words. They were in english. Not a huge problem but we're really pushing french with him as he didn't have much french exposure before coming here. He is actually doing comparatively better than Kamryn was at his age (with me home with him he gets more french while Kamryn was with my very english parents quite a bit) but still we worry a little at how he will manage when he starts preschool next fall (I agonized over Kamryn too).

Anyway, we can't go anywhere without Sam pointing out each and every car or truck that he sees and yelling "Car!" So bad parents that we are rather than rejoicing in his burgeoning language skills we repeat endlessly "auto" (Ah- tow) and he yells back excitedly "Car! Car!" This is scene repeated each and every time we venture out of the house. So today I'm driving home and he's yelling at me "Maman! Tow! Tow! Tow!" at the top of his lungs and then I realized what he was saying and had to laugh. He'd pretty much been yelling it for 20 minutes and I just hadn't realized it. Daniel will be thrilled.

A few weeks ago I was considering having his speech tested because I was marginally concerned but in the last two weeks he's had the most noticable explosion. He's really RIGHT where he should be. I think I worry about his language mostly because we keep telling ourselves that if his language skills continue to be at or above average there is a chance that all the junk his birthmother was using didn't harm him. :(

No comments: