Thursday, March 08, 2007

Well it's time to pack up the crib

I guess I owed a blog entry – technically – yesterday. But with Wordless Wednesday (which I posted on Tuesday lol) and all … I never really got around to it. So I’m writing one now. I had my right retina repair done today so I’m seeing a bit wacky right now since one pupil is the size of a saucer and the other quite normal. Still, since I’m here at work not working I might as well blog (which looks to the casual observer that I am indeed hard at work.)

Poor little Sam this week.

Just this week — after mulling it over for quite a while — I made the decision that Sam should get a new bedroom set for his birthday in May and we should move him to a bed. Now Sam is quite happy in his crib. He sleeps well in it. He still fits in it. He’s contained. I know where he is. He’s safe and I had no intention on moving him until the summer.

The problem really isn’t Sam but rather Kamryn. Right now the rule in our house is that she isn’t allowed to leave her room and attack us – oops I mean come into our room to get us until 7:00 am. She is quite good at sticking to that rule and only occasionally needs reminding. But then again there is NOTHING for her to do at that hour of the morning anyways. If she gets up early, she gets dressed and plays quietly in her room until the appointed hour. I like this arrangement. I’m worried that with Sam free – it will be a free-for-all. These kids truly love each other and have a blast together. I’m positive they will both get up to mischief together and I will never sleep again.

Anyway I firmly stated quite a while ago that we would leave Sam in a crib until his 18th birthday. I relented a bit when the weight limits on the crib were pointed out to me. I also thought that potty training may be a factor but boys are harder to train and just because Kamryn night trained without even blinking I didn’t expect Sam to do the same. Ummm… ya. One of my projects this weekend will be to box up all the extra diaper paraphernalia and get it out of Sam’s room. I should probably combine that with setting up his new bed. Sam virtually potty trained himself a few months ago now. We told him where the bathroom was and put him in underwear. It wasn’t much more involved than that – although we had a protracted struggle (if you can call a few weeks a struggle) over the “where to poop” thing. We were having a problem with him overflowing his pull-up so we decided to start waking him when we go up to bed and making him use the toilet then. We did that one night and he didn’t wet the bed after that. A few weeks ago he asked if he could wear underwear to bed and I couldn’t think if a reason why not (except that I have 50 or so pull-ups that I don’t need) so I said yes and ta-da he’s night trained. We still do the 11 o’clock potty-run but it’s been almost two months since we started waking him and he hasn’t wet the bed even once when asleep that is. The continued presence of diaper stuff in his room is simply evidence of my incredulity that it was this easy (and my highly honed skills of procrastination). That brings us to the bed dilemma.

Because he is in the crib he can’t take himself to the bathroom. What it means for us is no longer languishing in bed pretending not to hear him when he calls to be let out in the morning. Hop to it my boy needs to pee! We know that and work hard not to stress him too much over it. Yesterday morning though his calls (a little earlier than usual so not expected) were muted by the TV (serves as our alarm clock), a still closed door and the garbage truck's arrival and we didn't get to him in time. :( Poor little guy was VERY upset. I can only imagine how he felt. His little sobbing voice about how he had to go to the bathroom right away. He tried so hard and we failed him.

Daniel went bed shopping today.

Yikes -- Sam in a bed, perhaps we need to invest in more house insurance.

No comments: